My favourite cake recipe, it’s fluffy and subtle in flavour which makes it easy to use in any recipe. It’s flexible enough to use for a cake roll and pairs very well with strawberries and whipped cream.
- 4 Egg Yolks*
- 40 grams of Granulated Sugar
- 50 grams of Sunflower Oil
- 80 grams of Water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract OR Mocha Extract
- 110 grams of Flour OR 90 grams of Flour AND 20 grams of Cocoa Powder
- Optional: 12 grams of sifted Freeze Dried Fruit Powder
- Optional: Food colouring
- 4 Egg Whites*
- 30 grams of Granulated Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare your cake pan (38,7 cm × 26 cm × 1,9 cm) by lining it with baking paper.
- Combine the egg yolks and the larger amount of sugar.
- Whip up the egg yolks until they reach the ribbon stage.
- Add in the sunflower oil and water slowly, while mixing.
- Now add in the flour, or flour and cocoa mixture, and mix well.
- Optional: Add in freeze dried fruit powder or food colouring.
- In a separate bowl, add in the egg whites and smaller amount of sugar
- Whip up the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter gently, in three additions.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cover the cake with a sheet of baking paper, flip it over and let it cool completely.
When is it done?
You'll know the cake is done when you gently press onto the cake and it springs back.
*Make sure this ingredient is at room temperature.
This recipe makes one thin 38,7 cm × 26 cm cake.
TIP: This recipe is pretty versatile, use cocoa powder to make a chocolate flavoured version or add in sifted fruit powder to give it some fruity flavours.