Light and fluffy, vibrant in colour and tasty red velvet cake. Combines perfectly with some cream cheese buttercream.
Red Velvet Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Moist and fluffy red velvet cake.
- 90 grams of Butter*
- 400 grams of Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs*
- 380 grams of Flour
- 30 grams of Cocoa Powder
- 6 grams of Baking Powder
- 380 grams of Buttermilk OR 340 grams of Milk AND 40 grams of White Vinegar
- 80 grams of Sunflower Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Colouring
- 10 grams of Baking Soda
- 24 grams of White Vinegar
- Optional: Combine the milk and white vinegar and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to create a subsitute for the buttermilk.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare your cake pan (18 cm or 20 cm) by brushing the inside of the pan with butter and lining it with baking paper OR place cupcake liners inside of a cupcake pan.
- Beat together the butter and sugar.
- Next add in the eggs and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Combine the (butter)milk, sunflower oil, vanilla extract and red food colouring.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the batter and mix it through.
- Next add in half of the milk mixture and mix it through.
- Repeat the last two steps, so all of the flour mixture and milk is well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda and white vinegar.
- Add into the batter and mix it through.
- Divide the batter over 12 cupcake liners or pour it all in one cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let it cool completely.
When is it done?
You'll know the cake is done when you insert a skewer or knife into the cake, pull it out and only a few moist crumbs stick to it. If there's wet batter attached: place it back in the oven.
*Make sure this ingredient is at room temperature.
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes or two cakes with a diameter of 18 cm or 20 cm.