Fun and colourful smarties birthday cake, not just for two year olds.
- Sort all of the Mini Smarties by colour.
- Cut each cake into two layers.
- Pipe some buttercream onto the cake board and place a cake layer on top.
- Brush the cake with simple syrup.
- Spread or pipe buttercream onto it and add another cake layer on top.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you've added the last cake layer.
- Cover the entire cake in buttercream.
- Refrigerate until the buttercream has set, about 30 minutes.
- Create an outline of a number on top of the cake, using a toothpick.
- Use Mini Smarties to fill in the number.
- Pipe a border on top using a piping bag fitted with a star shaped piping tip.
- Place Mini Smarties on the border and decorate the sides of the cake with Mini Smarties as well.
*Baked in two cake pans (14 cm).