Usually enjoyed around Sinterklaas, but definitely tasty on every occassion! It’s basically a thicker version of this recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare cake pan (⌀ 15cm) by brushing it with butter and lining it with baking paper.
- Roll out part of Speculaas dough to a thickness of 4 millimetres.
- Cut a circle to cover the bottom of the cake pan and place it inside the cake pan.
- Cut a thick stroke out of the dough and place it alongside the edges.
- Press the dough into the pan, sealing any seams between the two pieces.
- Combine almond paste with water.
- Place almond paste into the cake pan and press down.
- Fold any dough that sticks out over the almond paste and cover with some more dough.
- Press dough together.
- Optional: Place almond halves on top.
- Brush with eggwash.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Let cake cool completely, at least 60 minutes.