This delicious snack is usually enjoyed around the same time as Sinterklaas is celebrated, but with this recipe you can make and enjoy them ALL year round!
- 250 grams of Flour
- 16 grams of Baking Powder
- 150 grams of (Dark) Brown Sugar
- 20 grams of Speculaaskruiden
- 150 grams of Butter
- 50 grams of Milk
- Extra Milk (to brush onto the dough)
- Optional: 1 Egg (to brush onto the dough)
- Optional: Almond Halves to decorate
- Combine the flour and baking powder well.
- Add in the (dark) brown sugar and speculaaskruiden and mix again.
- Cut the butter into cubes and add this into the mixture.
- Knead the butter into the mixture.
- Add in the milk to create a supple dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Place the dough onto some plastic wrap.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm.
- Place the dough onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Optional: Cut a big shape out of the dough, like a big heart. Keep in mind the speculaas dough will still expand, so it might become a lot more rounded than you expected.
- Optional: Decorate with almond halves.
- Optional: Combine some milk with an egg.
- Brush the dough with milk or with milk and egg mixture.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Let it cool a little before breaking it into pieces, creating speculaasbrokken.