Whether you’re in the mood for sweet or savory, choux pastry is a great base to work with. You can use it to make cream puffs or éclairs and fill them with any filling you’d like.
- 150 grams of Water
- 75 grams of Butter
- 100 grams of Flour OR 80 grams of Flour AND 20 grams of Cocoa Powder
- 3 Eggs*
- About 250 grams of Whipped Cream, Pastry Cream or other filling.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Add both the water and butter into a heavy bottom saucepan.
- Place the saucepan onto your stove and heat it, on low heat, and wait for the butter to melt.
- Once the butter has fully melted add in the flour all at once and stir.
- Keep stirring and heating, on low heat, until a film forms on the bottom of the pan.
- Let the dough cool for about 4 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, mixing them in one by one.
- Place the dough into a piping bag fitted with a round piping tip.
- Pipe dollups or lines of choux pastry onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake them for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let them cool completely before filling.
*Make sure this ingredient is at room temperature.
TIP: While cooling put the cream puffs or éclairs into an airtight container and place the lid on top, leaving a small opening, this'll soften them a bit as they cool down.