Do you love the taste of marshmallows? How about Nutella? Or both of those flavours combined, in this case. This marshmallow birthday cake is very time intensive to make, or rather cover, but the result is definitely nice.
- Divide the chocolate chip cake batter over two cake pans (18,5 cm) and bake according to these instructions.
- Let them cool completely.
- Level the cakes with a serrated knife.
- Brush the top of both cakes with simple syrup.
- Place some buttercream on a cake board and place one cake on top.
- Pipe or spread some buttercream on top of the cake and then add the other cake on top.
- Cover the entire cake in buttercream and smooth it out with a bread or palette knife.
- Measure the height and circumference of your cake.
- Use those measurements to lay out your marshmallow pattern, for the sides of the cake, on your work space. This'll help you see if it'll fit.
- Place the marshmallows onto the sides of your cake one by one, this is very time consuming.
- For the pattern on top, create some guidelines using a small knife.
- Place the marshmallows onto the top of your cake.
*I used Funcakes mini and micro marshmallows and sorted them by colour. You might need less or more marshmallows.
TIP: Coat the chocolate chips in a little bit of flour before adding them to the cake batter, so the chocolate chips don't all sink to the bottom of the cake.