Fluffy Japanese Sponge Cake, a great addition to any recipe book. Top it with whipped cream and strawberries for a classic Christmas cake flavour.
- 30 grams of Butter
- 30 grams of Milk
- 120 grams of Flour
- 4 Eggs*
- 100 grams of Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare your cake pan (18 cm or 20 cm) by brushing the inside of the pan with butter and lining it with baking paper.
- Heat the milk and butter together in a saucepan, until the butter has fully melted.
- Add the eggs and sugar into a heat proof bowl.
- Place the bowl on top of a saucepan with a small layer of water in it, on medium heat. Stir, using a whisk, until the sugar has melted completely.
- Pour the egg mixture into a mixing bowl and add in the vanilla extract.
- Whip up the eggs until they reach the ribbon stage.
- Sift and fold in the flour in three additions.
- Add the melted butter and milk mixture and fold this in as well.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let it cool completely.
When is it done?
You'll know the cake is done when you insert a skewer or knife into the cake, pull it out and only a few moist crumbs stick to it. If there's wet batter attached: place it back in the oven.
*Make sure this ingredient is at room temperature.
This recipe makes one cake with a diameter of 18 cm.